Jumbling up words

I highly recommend reading The Mother Tongue Study Guide by Bill Bryson who, in chapter 15, describes the history of word games. Personally I love of all of these and I’m hopelessly addicted to my iPad Scrabble app which I also recommend to all of you. As long as we come across crossword puzzles, palindromes (look up one of my previous articles titled Palindromes) and rebuses in newspapers and magazines, not all of us know what holorhymes, anagrams and cryptograms are and all of these often get mixed up. (blimey, Microsoft Word underlined holorhyme in red not recognising the word)

A holorhyme is a form of rhyme in which two lines are phonetically identical. Pretty extreme really, isn’t it? E.g. For I scream – for ice-cream.

An anagram is a type of word play based on rearranging the letters of a given word, phrase or sentence  in order to create a new word, phrase or sentence Mary – army, debit card – bad credit, World Cup team – talcum powder (whoever invented that one must have had some stroke of genius).

A cryptogram on the other hand is a word, phrase or sentence consisting of encrypted text where respectively letters get replaced by different ones. Those get really difficult to solve and were originally used for encryption of military secrets and nowadays for entertainment purposes.

I have come across a very good cryptogram online.

Here’s my cryptogram for you: C wzkm gzh mjqzgma bg nyicfsm. Umms uymm iz rhdrfycdm iz bg omdrcim. You may want to try and solve it yourself first but if you struggle try the solver I recommend.

Have fun creating and solving anagrams and cryptograms! Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Best scrabble word finder our the web it is great article post more info of scrabble.

    ReplyDelete