Me, myself and I

Which sentence from the following three is correct?


Me and her likes watching movies.
Me and her like watching movies.
Myself and her like watching movies.

If you chose any of the three, this means you still have a lot to learn about personal pronouns. The answer is none of them are right. The correct way of saying this sentence would be: She and I like watching movies. Why?

To see what a pronoun is check Step by step grammar 4: Pronouns. You need to know that there are two different types of personal pronouns: subjective (I, you, he, she etc.) and objective (me, him, her etc.)  We use subjective personal pronouns when a given pronoun is acting as the subject of the sentence. The subject is what or whom the sentence is about – in our example the subject is she and I. Other examples where pronouns  that are acting as subjects:


We used to like going out together.
You didn’t want to talk to me.

We use objective personal pronouns when the given pronoun is acting like an object of a verb, preposition or infinitive phrase within this sentence. Look at the following examples:


My mum tried to reach them on their number.
I never really liked her as she would hang out with my boyfriend all the time.


Myself as it appears in one of the answers for you to choose from is a reflexive pronoun and we use it only when we refer back to the subject – I like myself/You like yourself. I keep seeing people use myself as a subject, especially in semi-formal writing i.e. emails sent out in my office and it really makes me want to yell at them.

This determines that in our initial example: She and I like watching movies subjective pronouns are the best choice. In other words these two pronouns should be in the subject case, not the object case. Bear in mind that the verb in our example should be plural as there are two subjects (two pronouns).

No comments:

Post a Comment