Step by step grammar 4: Pronouns

A pronoun can replace a noun and refers to a specific person or thing. There are different types of pronouns but for now it’s enough for you to know that words such as I, you, he, she, it, we, they and variations of these e.g. mine, yours or myself, yourself etc are all pronouns.

Words in bold in the following sentence are pronouns:

I like him but I don’t think she does as she fell out with him some time ago.


This, that, these, those are also pronouns and so are words such as everyone, everything, whoever, whichever.

Words in bold in the following sentence are pronouns:

You can kiss whomever you like but I don’t approve of that.


As you can tell, pronouns work a bit like nouns - to see what nouns are check Step by step grammar 1: Nouns - in other words they substitute nouns but aren't proceeded by articles (a/an/the). Pronouns act as a shortcut and save you from repeating the name of a person or thing you have already mentioned.

I hope this was easy. If you haven’t subscribed to www.englishfocused.com yet do it now as there’s more to come. Next Wednesday we will explain what an adverb  is.

No comments:

Post a Comment