Step by step grammar 2: Verbs

As mentioned last Wednesday, today we are talking about verbs. The verb is perhaps the most important part of the sentence as the sentence would not exist without the verb! It’s a word that we use to express actions, emotions and beings. In its dictionary form it follows the word ‘’to’’and we call this form infinitive e.g. to take, to hate, to be.

In English verbs take different forms too and there are also different types of verbs. You might want to find out more about it once you feel a bit more comfortable with all those grammatical twists as I don’t want to confuse you just yet! For now it’s enough to know that the forms verbs take are to do with the tense and the person in the sentence. For instance the verb to be can take following forms: I am, you are, he is, I was, you were, I am being etc.

Words in bold in the following sentence are verbs:

I met Jack at school and he mentioned he was going to walk his dog with Susie.

I hope this was easy. If you haven’t subscribed to www.englishfocused.com yet do it now as there’s more to come. Next Wednesday we will explain what an adjective is.

No comments:

Post a Comment